Olive Branch Baptist Church
11119 Boydton Plank Road
Dinwiddie, Virginia 23841

Organized 1868                                          Remodeled 1965                                         Moved Up 2014

2018:  “Endeavoring to Reach and Remain Rooted and Grounded in Love”

Ephesians 3:17-18

History

In 1868, a small number of former slaves gathered together to worship and give thanks to God for their new found freedom.  This anointed gathering place would later become known as Olive Branch Baptist Church.  Historical information tells that the first church was arranged under a bush arbor until the first building could be erected.  This original building was constructed of hewn logs and had several improvements until the present church was built.  The two most significant renovations of the present church occurred in 1965 and 1985.  The first renovation involved the overlaying of bricks, remodeling of the sanctuary, and the adding of the educational wing to the rear of the church.  The second reconstruction included a kitchen, fellowship room, and the expansion of the educational wing.  With the favor of God, Olive Branch has not only grown to become a beacon in the community but has expanded in the size of its congregation.  Thus, in 2010, under the leadership and vision of our current pastor, Olive Branch began its capital campaign to erect a new sanctuary.  On August 10, 2014, the vision became reality as Olive Branch family and friends marched into its new edifice.  This new edifice sits east of the old edifice on approximately four acres of land.  It  includes vaulted ceilings, a sanctuary with the seating capacity of four hundred, a baptistery, music room, a common area, choir loft, educational rooms, audio-video area, administrative area, and much more.

To date, Olive Branch has had eighteen pastors to serve, with the first being Rev. Gaines.  The longest serving pastor of this branch of Zion was the late Rev. Dr. Thomas Lacy, Sr. who blessed us for 41 years.  Our eighteenth and current shepherd is Rev. Kevin M. Northam who has served since 2003.  It is under his leadership that we have maintained our mission to be a spiritual guide that is valuable, viable, visible, and vital to the community.